SPACE - Supporting Parents Alongside Children's Education.
The Cedar Centre is partnering with SPACE NZ, Plunket & Anglican Care to provide the SPACE programme to the communities of Beach Haven and Birkdale.
The SPACE programme is aimed mainly at first time parents and their babies (0-5 months), and has been designed to support parents through the first year of their child's developmental journey. The programme runs weekly for 3-4 terms (i.e. 30-40 weeks). The sessions are run by facilitators who have knowledge, experience, and training in early childhood care and education.
SPACE is held in the Chelsea Rooms at Cedar Centre
Sessions run for 2 hours and typically include:
* a welcoming and settling in time
* a sharing time
* a discussion topic or guest speaker
* morning tea
* a thought for the session
* music, rhymes, and books
* continued opportunities for play
The discussion topics may include:
* Getting to know you and your baby
* Understanding me (crying & communication)
* Becoming a parent
* Making resources
* Understanding thinking
* Reflective parenting
* The beauty of the brain
* Establishing attachment
* What do I see & What do I hear?
* See me move
* Meaningful men
* Going back to work
* Heuristic play
* Music is a core component of the SPACE programme and can be introduced in a variety of ways, including songs, rhymes, books, music and movement.
As your baby grows older the SPACE programme provides an introduction to early childhood areas of play and an orientation to early childhood care and education services.
The areas of play that may be explored in this unit include:
* Messy play
* Water play
* Sand play
* Encouraging playfulness
* Outdoor play & challenge courses for infants
If you would like to know when the next S.P.A.C.E intake will be starting or if you would just like some more information from our programme facilitator email us here
To find out more about the S.P.A.C.E programme visit the main website here